Baldur’s Gate 3’s Release Date
Baldur’s Gate 3 is one of the most eagerly anticipated upcoming role-playing video games in development today. As the latest sequel in the esteemed Baldur’s Gate franchise, fans have been anxiously looking forward to its release date announcement ever since the game’s reveal in 2019.
In this extensive post, we’ll explore the history of the Baldur’s Gate series, provide context around Baldur’s Gate 3’s development, analyze all the release date hints and clues so far, and outline what to expect from the game at launch.
Overview of the Baldur’s Gate Series
To understand the legacy Baldur’s Gate 3 is building upon, it’s important to first look back at the impact of the previous games in the franchise.
Baldur’s Gate (1998)
- Developed by BioWare, published by Interplay Entertainment
- Used 2nd Edition Dungeons & Dragons rules
- Focused on story, exploration, tactical combat
- Critically acclaimed, sold over 2 million copies
Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000)
- Further improved Infinity Engine graphics, gameplay systems
- Deeper characterization, moral choices, quests
- Considered one of the greatest RPGs ever made
Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance Series (2001-2004)
- Action RPG spin-offs for consoles by Snowblind Studios
- More hack-and-slash focused gameplay
- Brought franchise to new audiences
So in summary, the original Baldur’s Gate games pioneered tactical RPG storytelling and mechanics, making them classics.
Announcement and Information on Baldur’s Gate 3
After years of inactivity, there was great excitement when Larian Studios announced Baldur’s Gate 3 in June 2019.
Initial E3 2019 Reveal
- Developed by Larian Studios
- Will continue Bhaal storyline from previous games
- Uses Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition rules
Early reveals at events showcased:
- Classes like Cleric, Fighter, Wizard
- Isometric camera but modern 3D graphics
- Emphasis on player choice branching narratives
- Co-op multiplayer support
Impressions were very positive, with fans reassured Larian would stay true to the series’ roots while modernizing gameplay.
Speculation on Release Date Timeframe
Larian Studios has not committed to an exact date, but there are informative clues based on their statements and development plans:
Early Access Launch Plans
Larian intends to launch Baldur’s Gate 3 first in Early Access:
- PC platforms first, possibly Google Stadia too
- About 1 year length estimated for Early Access
- Only Act 1 available initially for feedback
- Full price but discounts for early buyers
The full launch will likely follow Early Access by around 1 year.
Estimates by Industry Analysts
While speculative, some analysts have proposed possible timelines:
- Early Access in early 2023
- Full launch late 2023 or early 2024
- Fits with expected 4 year development cycle
These align with Larian’s Early Access goals and seem reasonable.
Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic
The pandemic that began in 2020 has likely caused some development delays:
- Transition to remote work challenged collaboration
- Creative processes like mocap may have been disrupted
- But relief from events allowed focus on production
The exact impact is uncertain but some delays are probable.
Release Platforms and Editions
Here’s what to expect in terms of platforms and purchasing options at launch:
- Exclusive to PC in Early Access
- Steam and GOG confirmed
- Consoles later for full launch
PC allows the complexity players expect.
- Possible even for Early Access
- Makes sense given Stadia reveal
- Streaming suits next-gen graphics
Widens player access without needing high-end PC.
- Full launch on PS5, Xbox Series X/S, Switch
- Power needed for best performance
- Controls will be re-mapped from mouse/keyboard
Consoles expand the audience but take time to port properly.
Editions & Pre-Orders
- Base $59.99 digital/physical release
- $79.99 digital only
- Bonus in-game items
- Pre-order discounts likely
- No details yet but likely $99.99 – $149.99
- Physical extras like art book, figurines
Multiple tiers cater to all budgets and desired extras. Pre-orders also build revenue.
Content and Polish at Launch
The amount of content and overall polish will depend on whether Baldur’s Gate 3 has launched in Early Access or as a full release.
Early Access Scope
The Early Access version will only include Act 1:
- Estimated 25+ hours just for Act 1 content
- Introduces setting and core mechanics
- Only 2 races and classes available initially
- Level cap around 4
- Placeholder art and voice acting
This focused scope facilitates robust feedback.
As a work-in-progress, polish will be lower in Early Access:
- UI, systems, and features still being iterated on
- Bugs and technical issues to be expected
- Frequent patches planned
The focus is on evaluating content and mechanics rather than optimization.
Full Launch Scope
The 1.0 version will expand the content and polish:
- Full storyline across multiple acts
- More races and classes unlocked
- Much larger worldspace
- Triple the levels with cap around 10
- Next-gen graphics and features implemented
- Far more polished, stable, and optimized
This full experience will require extensive playtesting and tweaking.
Ongoing Updates Leading to Launch
To build hype and provide transparency, Larian shares regular development updates:
Developer Livestreams & Videos
- Swen Vincke hosts streams showcasing new gameplay
- Gives insight into design process and philosophy
- Interacts with community questions
Fans get valuable sneak peeks at the game in progress.
Conventions & Events
- Larian brings updated builds to conventions
- Opportunity to reveal new content
- Journalist hands-on impressions and previews generated
Events keep buzz going and address criticisms or concerns.
Interviews & Articles
- Swen Vincke participates in print/video interviews
- Discusses development status and specific features
- Manages expectations around scope and release timeline
This engages press and influencers to spread word on the game.
While an exact date remains unconfirmed, these insights into Baldur’s Gate 3’s development cycle, platform plans, and launch content goals give a clearer picture of when we can expect to play this hugely anticipated sequel. Larian Studios’ commitment to transparency and steady communication keeps fans like us informed and excited for the journey ahead. Whenever Baldur’s Gate 3 does finally release, be it later this year or further in the future, it will undoubtedly be a massive event in gaming.